We are here to help save the High Street!
Love Loughborough is managed by Loughborough’s Business Improvement District (BID), which aims to bring life back to our High Street by improving the trading environment for local businesses.
Here are some of the things we offer:
- Free recycling to BID businesses – this was the first project to be implemented in June 2012, offering businesses the opportunity to recycle paper, cardboard, food tins, drinks cans, plastics cartons, aerosols and foil
- Customer Loyalty Card – designed to encourage people to shop locally, it has proved very popular, offering a wide range of discounts and incentives throughout the town centre
- Improved appearance of shop fronts – vacant premises can be a blight on any town’s landscape and they soon become an eyesore, so we are looking at ways to fill them or clean them up
- Love Loughborough website – a one-stop shop for anyone wishing to find out what’s happening in Loughborough
- Loughborough in Bloom – Love Loughborough contributes annually by supplying free hanging baskets to member businesses across the town centre. 2017 sees 155 hanging baskets and 25 troughs.
- Events – we support town centre events, including the annual Car Show which brings over 16,000 visitors to the town centre on Father’s Day
- Extended Christmas Lights and Love Heart Lights – we extend the Council’s Christmas Lights to other areas of the town centre and also invested in the Love Heart Lights for Market Place that go up during February-April
- Dressing the Town – we install bunting acrosss the BID area each year to add a splash of colour to the town centre through the summer
- Christmas Programme – the ever-popular Loughborough Christmas Lights Switch On wows the crowds and kicks off the Christmas Programme with a host of entertainment and activities provided by Charnwood Borough Council in partnership with Love Loughborough
- Student-focused marketing – we are working closely with the University and College to engage with the students and promote the town centre offer to them. We also attend the annual Freshers’ fair
- Car parking offers – in partnership with Charnwood Borough Council, we cover the cost of parking at council-owned car parks on various event days through the year as well as the four Sundays leading up to Christmas
Love Loughborough was successful in securing the town with Portas Pilot status. We received £100,000 funding from central government, and plan to put Mary Portas’ recommendation on saving the High Street into practice, via the following:
- Research – to help aid our marketing and overall strategy
- Mystery Shopping, Retail Master Classes and a support website for BID member businesses
- Student Mentors – a programme designed to get the town’s students engaged with town centre businesses by training BID member business owners in social media
- Helping new business start-ups, through market start-ups, new lease terms, de-regulation
For more information on Portas Pilots, visit Mary’s website